The Southern California Augmentative and Alternative Communication Network...

...is a support group for professional development, problem solving, leadership, mentoring, and training in the use of augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) to develop communication in non-speaking and minimally verbal individuals in the Southern California Region.

Follow this blog via email at the right.
Join our email list: socalaacnetwork@gmail.com
Friend us on Facebook SoCal AAC
Follow us on Twitter @SCAACN

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Linda Hodgdon - Clearing Confusion About APPS for Autism

From Linda:
"One of the exciting things about the iPad and other tablet devices is there are a lot of APPS (applications) that can be downloaded to use for many different purposes. (For those who don’t know what this is . . . . an APP is a little piece of software that helps you do something on the iPad. It is like the software that you put on a computer to help you accomplish various tasks.)

I keep getting questions
So many people have contacted me with the same question. They tell me, “I bought an iPad for Tommy or Kevin or Sarah who has autism or Asperger’s. Now . . . what APPS should I use?”

The confusion grows
You can do a quick search on the internet now and easily find web sites and articles listing lots of APPS for autism. By now there are hundreds of thousands of APPS of all kinds available for the iPad and thousands more are added to the collection each week.

The equivalent in books would be to walk into one of the major chain bookstores or go into one of the huge major city libraries. Bookstores and libraries have so many choices that it’s hard to know where to begin.

So we need a strategy
In a book place I would begin to think about what category I wanted to explore. Army tanks? Astronomy? Cookbooks? Once I think of a category, I begin to narrow down what I want to accomplish or what I want to learn about or do. Then I can start to search for books that will lead me to my goal..."

No comments:

Post a Comment